Tuesday, June 2, 2009

This Happy Day

It’s sunny and glad and green
in my zoned-for-happy neighborhood

and on this happy day I see the life I didn’t have:
miserable and poor, a creep in fact;

I reek from
too much booze and too little soap

but I compose such lovely verse
croaking hymns to beauty

and the wickedness of God’s
singular creation who shits his

nest and calls it art or truth or justice
but in one’s singular lifetime

it’s enough (don’t you think):
one single wicked beautiful poem.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Herb,

    Do you read ever at Deerfield Library- I see there is a poetry reading on Tuesday's at 6:30. I wondered if you had gone, and if you thought it was worth reading at. I just found out about it, news travels slow when you are a Highland Park transplant from Deerfield.

    ReplyDelete